Education Support Leave
For the purposes of promoting education in Georgia and supplementing work life balance, each full time, regular employee is eligible for up to eight (8) paid hours of Education Support Leave per calendar year. Such leave is in addition to, and not charged against, an employee’s other leave.
Any full time, regular employee of the University System of Georgia, may request to use and be considered for education support leave. This leave will be available to all eligible employees, both parents of students and non-parents, and may be considered for activities supporting public, private, and home school achievement.
Only activities directly related to student achievement and academic support will qualify for education support leave. Such activities may range from early care and learning through higher education.
Activities that promote education in Georgia may include, but are not limited to, some of the following:
- Attend Parent/Teacher conferences
- Participate in classroom activities, such as reading to a class or presenting on career day
- Tutor students without receiving compensation
- Proctor examinations
- Attend award and recognition ceremonies or graduation exercises
- Participate in field day activities or chaperone field trips
- Attend open house functions
Use of Leave:
- Education support leave may not be utilized by the employee for themselves or for their spouse.
- Employees must not receive pay for services they perform while using education support leave.
- Supervisors may approve or deny requests for education support leave based on operational needs, or other reasons, such as conduct, attendance, or unsatisfactory work performance.
- Use of education support leave for any political purpose or agenda is prohibited.
- Education support leave does not accumulate, and unused leave does not rollover into subsequent calendar years. Rather, eligible employees may use education support leave for qualifying absences that occur during their regular scheduled work hours, up to a total of 8 hours in any calendar year.
Employees can use no more than 8 paid hours of education support leave in a calendar year regardless of transfer from one USG institution or office to another. Education support leave carries no cash value if unused. There will be no payout for unused education support leave upon termination.
This policy may also be found on the University System of Georgia website at http://www.usg.edu/policymanual/section8/C224/#